Monday, October 25, 2010
Red Ribbon Week
Today, October 25, begins the 25th annual Red Ribbon Week, the US oldest drug prevention and school based awareness program that will last till October 31, providing a chance for teachers and parents to talk to kids about drugs, prevention and abuse. Today we wore Red for "Don't be a Dead Head wear Red", Tuesday We wear hats, "Hats off to a Drug Free Life", Wednesday a poster contest, Thursday a movie and popcorn, Friday a Pep Ralley and boys vs. girls basketball game.
Red Ribbon Week is recognized in memory of a special U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration agent, officer Enrique “Kiki” Camarena, who died during an incident while working undercover against the drug cartels.
An 11 year veteran of the DEA assigned to Guadalajara, Mexico, Camarena was close to unlocking a million dollar drug pipeline. In 1985 though, he was kidnapped, tortured and finally murdered by the Mexican drug traffickers.
This is actually kind of funny to me, growing up in school we always had Red Ribbon Week, and the Dare program. We would usually sign something if we pledge to be "Drug Free". While in school, I always said to myself I can never do drugs because I sign that thing every year!! I am still like this, I feel if I "say" or "commit" myself to something, I must keep my word! So I am proud to say, I am 28 years old and still drug free! Thank you Red Ribbon Week for scaring me. ;)
Source: http://www.providingnews.com/red-ribbon-week-starting-today.html#ixzz13OkLdlTD
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment